Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

I looked up the word "mother" on Dictionary.com and found 35 results for this word...go figure! I think mom's have at least 35 job descriptions but that's a post for a different time.

So here we go.....

moth·er1
Audio Help /ˈmʌðər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muhth-er] –noun
1. A female parent; especially, one of the human race; a woman who has borne a child.
2. a person or thing that is very large, powerful, or impressive.
3. a term of address for a female parent or a woman having or regarded as having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.
4. a kind of game at cards played by several persons.
5. a stringy, mucilaginous substance consisting of various bacteria, esp. Mycoderma aceti, that forms on the surface of a fermenting liquid and causes fermentation when added to other liquids, as in changing wine or cider to vinegar.
Also called mother of vinegar.

Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother. ~Oprah Winfrey

One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands - bare hands - and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag and fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands - a kind of mad courage. ~Robert Fulghum

It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it. ~From the television show The Golden Girls

My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman


We do make the world go round. We are the glue that holds it together. There is no harder job although there are better paying ones, unless you count those moments when you look into the sleeping face of your child.... that feeling never changes no matter how old they get. After 23 years all my children still look sweet and peaceful like they did that very first time I stood over their bassinet and just watched in awe at the beauty and wonder of the life I been given to raise.

To all the mom's out there, enjoy your day of celebration.

2 comments:

Jennifer Herring said...

Happy Mother's Day, Paige!

Katie Scott said...

What a great post! Hope you had a great mother's day!!!