Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Old and free.....

It very weird for me to have such freedom.....

Friday night on the spur of the moment, we ended up with some friends at 58 degrees had a glass of wine or two and then made it to bed by midnight.

Saturday we woke up a bit late... 8am okay i know but that's late for us... and then rode our bikes to breakfast down town, dropped off the dry cleaning on the way. Back home we sat around and read for a bit... just relaxed you know. Then it was off to a BBQ with friends from 1pm to 8... spent some time talking to a couple from Brussels, very interesting people. Had Mint juleps in honor of the Kentucky derby... it was a lot of fun.

Sunday we headed off to church and then decided right after to head to Napa and come home the back way to find this camping spot we looked at last spring, when we did all that driving to take my mind off how sick I was. We found it, booked a premium site for the weekend of June 13Th and headed home. We did at that point have to be slightly responsible and do a little grocery shopping and house cleaning for the work week but hey it took maybe 3 hours. Then Doug came over and the kids joined us for BBQ turkey breast...so yummy in an Asian ginger marinade... more wine and lots of laughter. Oscar is very loose with a few drinks under his belt... heck I'm more loose with a few drinks if you can imagine that!

My point in all this... it hit me that we are basically like a young married couple. No kids to worry about, just make decisions/plans and go. I was talking to my brother in law Otto explaining that we wanted him to go camping with us in June but that we weren't' asking other family because they had kids and we wanted a kid free weekend. He laughed at me and how I've changed over the years... I was so kid oriented and now I'm all about no kids.

Which isn't exactly true but being completely honest I've never had a time in my life when I've been old enough to drink and party and do things like run off and have fun spontaneously..... until now. While I love children.. little kids and babies are just so sweet and wonderful... I'm also liking my non-kid space.

So if you are friends/family with kids reading this post and you didn't recieve an invite to go camping in June please dont take offense! We are going again in August and you can totally go then! I'll even watch the little ones while you take a break and hike and commune with nature!

Life has so many seasons and I'm really enjoying this one!

2 comments:

Jennifer Herring said...

Can we come?!?! :-P

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Sigh... kid free... something to look forward to...
Amy